Pacific navigators travelled across the open ocean to small inhabited islands using knowledge passed on by oral traditions, often in the form of song.
Learn about oceanic voyaging, and the discoveries, migrations and settlements of the Pacific. Find out how navigators and voyagers used only stars, waves, marine birds, and other natural elements as guides. Investigate the materials and design of Pacific navigation tools.
· Explore how early Polynesians navigated across the Pacific
· Gain an understanding of navigation tools such as the stars, ocean currents and cloud formations
· Understand how early Polynesian migrations to Aotearoa New Zealand have continuing significance for tangata whenua and communities today
This programme is for the following year groups: Years 1–3, Years 4–6, Years 7–8
*Terms and Conditions for FREE online sessions
1) Session are on average 30 minutes in duration
2) Minimum of 10 participants are required
3) Bookings need to be made a minimum of 2 weeks in advance
4) Free online programmes are available throughout Term 4 2021, however will conclude once schools are permitted to attend onsite