There are several ways that your students can access the Museum, its objects and the Museum’s learning team.
Onsite Learning programmes:
There are numerous programmes, facilitated by Auckland Museum Learning Specialists available. These programmes are based on best practice pedagogies and are designed to embody our vision of Inspiring Curiosity. We will work with you to ensure we are meeting the learning goals and desired outcomes for your students. Our programmes are age group categorised to meet the learning needs of students from ECE though to High School.
- Our first onsite learning session starts at 10am
- Up to four 1-hour sessions can be delivered in a day
- A maximum of 30 students can attend a session (except for a session in the Library Reading Room, where maximum numbers are 15 students)
- Session start times are 10am, 11am, 12pm and 1pm
- All programmes are finished promptly by 2pm.
- 1.5 – 2 hour session can be offered for older students
45 minute – 1 hour session = $5 per student*
1.5 – 2 hour session = $8 per student*
You may wish to visit a specific gallery or empower your students to undertake an activity that you have created specifically for them. We have resources available to support you with this.
- Self-guided visits begin at 10.30am.
- Most schools depart the Museum by 2pm.
- Please confirm gallery availability with the bookings team.
- Allow approximately 30-60 minutes per gallery for self-guided groups.
Free of charge for Aucklanders. If you are visiting from outside of Auckland, please ask the schools booking's team for more information.
Offsite Learning programmes:
If transport is a challenge, our Learning Team can come to your school. A growing number of our learning experiences can be offered in classrooms or a shared space at your school, early childhood center or in your community throughout Tāmaki Makaurau.
Online Learning programmes:
Similar to our onsite programmes, we have selected several of our learning programmes that can be delivered online. Our online sessions are presented live with one or two of our learning specialists. They can include break out rooms
This very special Museum in a Box kit provides teachers and students with access to objects and resources in your own classrooms. Accompanied by curiosity cards these boxes can be an excellent addition to your learning programmes.
In all cases, bookings are essential. Please ensure that you book at least two weeks in advance.